Thursday, October 23, 2008

Simple Survival Supplies - DIY Mold and Mildew Remover

Had a recent storm rip part of your roof off? Maybe it was only several foot of water from the most recent hurricane. It could be something as simple as a leaky pipe or hot water heater. Water damage, if left untreated, can cause serious problems for your health in the form of mold and mildew. There is a very simple solution to this problem and it’s probably sitting in your cabinet right now!

With money getting tighter for everyone out there, learning inexpensive DIY (Do It Yourself) methods of making items for your use rather than purchasing ready-made products at the store can be a real money saver. Many commercial cleaners can be harmful to your health and some pose serious risks of skin irritations and rashes if they come in contact with your skin. They can also pose a serious risk if they accidentally get into your eyes, nose, or mouth.

Simply use a solution of equal parts of white vinegar and water. Place your solution in a spray bottle, and then use your spray solution to get rid of mold and mildew wherever it happens to be causing problems. This can be especially helpful if you have experienced recent water or flood damage.

Don’t have a spray bottle handy? Just use a sponge or a clean cloth! Soak a clean cloth or sponge in your vinegar and water solution, and then wipe down any areas that have mold or mildew growth.

The acetic acid in vinegar kills mold and mildew. Vinegar also inhibits the growth of any additional mold and mildew which can help to eliminate any future problems.

“Vinegar is a strong preservative because its acetic acid kills the microbes and bacteria that could cause food to spoil,” says Michael Doyle, director of the Center for Food Safety at the University of Georgia, in Griffin.

The Main Benefits of Cleaning with Vinegar:

1.) Cheap and inexpensive household item.

2.) There are no harsh chemicals involved.

3.) It is an “all natural” mold and mildew remover.

4.) It inhibits the further growth of mold and mildew.

Caution:

1) Do not reuse empty cleaner bottles, as they may be contaminated with harsh chemicals from their prior contents.

2.) Use a new spray bottle for your vinegar spray to treat mold and mildew. Use a clean sponge or cloth if applying the solution by hand.

3.) Keep out of the reach of children (accidental ingestion of the vinegar and water may cause moderate distress or illness)

4.) As with any cleaner, you should avoid all contact with the eyes and any prolonged contact with the skin.

Staying above the water line!

Riverwalker

4 comments:

Marie said...

I love information like this--I try to use a non-toxic cleaner as much as possible as it is, so this is extremely helpful to know--thanks!

riverwalker said...

To: marie

Non'toxic = safer for the little ones. Thanks.

RW

Mold and Mildew said...

Great Info. Good for the enviorment.

riverwalker said...

To: mold and mildew

Alternate methods of dealing with things that can cause serious problems are always good to know.
Check your site and looked good. The thing about bleach as a disinfectant for mold was a good thing to know and read about.

Riverwalker

Related Posts with Thumbnails