Thursday, June 21, 2012

Riverwalker's Pics - The Cicada Killer


Cicada Killer

The cicada killer is one of the larger wasps found in Texas and  normally are about and inch and a half in length. They are ground burrowers that prefer sandy soils. They are normally seen in July and August when the cicadas begin to show up. While the females can generate a very painful sting, they are normally not very aggressive. These wasps are fairly common in Texas.

Got wasps?

Staying above the water line!

Riverwalker

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 1/2" - that is one big critter! I don't believe I've seen one of those down here (deep south Texas). Maybe its our soil type, predominantly clay.

Yellow jackets give me the willies - in hot weather, they are very aggressive.

millenniumfly said...

I've never found any good use for a wasp, though I assume there must be a reason for them... other than to annoy me.

Unknown said...

I'll make a note of this, seeing as how Texas is on my short list of places to live when I return to the states. Lots of yellow-jackets in Chicago in late summer, when I lived there. I thought they were more of an annoyance, than a threat.

Joe said...

Yes, sometimes I wonder why they were created.

As an aside, common plantain works wonders on wasp stings.

Joe

Related Posts with Thumbnails