Cucumbers are a member of the gourd family and are also considered a fruit. Cucumbers are quite easy to grow, can be eaten raw as a snack by themselves, on sandwiches or in salads and are easily canned for long term storage. Cucumbers have many beneficial qualities that put them in the class of survival super foods.
Cucumbers contain the vitamins A and C, have high fiber content and also contain the minerals magnesium and potassium. Cucumbers also have a very high water content which makes them important as a food source that will help keep the body properly hydrated. Cucumbers also contain silica. This is an important factor in maintaining healthy muscle and cartilage.
Cucumbers are very sensitive to heat and should be stored in a refrigerator in either a sealed container or tightly wrapped to preserve their freshness. When properly canned and pickled, they can last a very long time.
Cucumbers have many qualities that make them a survival super food.
1. They can be eaten raw and require no cooking.
2. They have a high fiber and water content.
3. They are excellent for long term food storage when properly processed.
4. They have excellent vitamin and mineral content.
5. They are easily grown in a small garden.
Staying above the water line!