Here’s a quick and simple way to add storage for your survival gear on your hiking stick. It’s a cheap and easy way to add storage to your stick that also makes a great survival project for the kids. Here’s a breakdown of the tools and other items you will need.
1. A hiking stick - This is a vital component for the project.
2. A small container - This should be of a diameter that is similar to your stick.
3. A screwdriver - Depending upon the type of screw you can scrounge up, you will need either a Philips head or a blade type screwdriver.
4. A hole starter - This can be a nail, an ice pick, etc.
5. A small screw with an appropriate size washer for it.
6. Gorilla glue or something similar - This is optional if you want to make your storage on a stick a little more secure.
7. Contents for your Stick Storage.
Assembling your storage on a stick:
1. Remove the cap and punch or drill a small hole in the cap of your storage container.
2. Make a small starter hole in your hiking stick for the screw.
3. Fasten the cap in an inverted position on the end of your hiking stick using the screw and washer. Add glue for a more secure or permanent attachment.
4. Assemble your survival gear in your plastic storage container and screw onto cap which has been fastened to the end of your stick.
A clear storage container makes it easy to see the contents. A small knife, a whistle and a small LED flashlight fit easily into the container with room for a couple of band-aids, a firestarter and water purification tablets. A few cotton balls would also help with the rattle factor. Most any type of container will work in this manner.
Got storage on a stick?
Staying above the water line!