1. Use an empty can with the lid removed. This works best if you use a safety can opener that removes the rim and lid in one piece.
2. Punch a hole in the center of the lid to insert an improvised wick for the oil lamp.
3. Fill the can with used cooking oil.
4. Roll up a piece of old cotton material to make a wick (a piece of an old t-shirt works good for this) Dip the cotton material in the used cooking oil. Insert the corner of the cotton material through the hole in the lid.
5. Place the lid with improvised wick back on top of can and light.
Got improvised oil lamp?
Staying above the water line!