A rainwater collection system can be an excellent alternative source for good quality water. Like all things, rainwater collection has advantages and disadvantages you should be aware of before you decide to begin a rainwater collection system of your own. Being aware of some of the simple advantages and disadvantages will help you make an informed decision.
1. Simple Construction - The construction of rainwater collection systems is not complicated and most people can easily build their own system with readily available materials.
2. Ease of Maintenance - The operation and maintenance of a household rainwater collection system is controlled by the individual without having to rely upon the maintenance practices of a municipally controlled water system
3. Water Quality - Rainwater is generally one of the better sources of an alternate water supply when compared with other sources of water that may be available.
4. Convenience - Rainwater collection provides a convenient source of water at the immediate place where it will be used or consumed.
5. Systems are Flexible and Adaptable - Rainwater collection systems can be adapted to suit most individual circumstances and to fit most any household’s budget.
1. High Initial investment Costs - The main cost of a rainwater collection system generally occurs during the initial construction phase and no benefit is derived until the system is completed.
2. Regular Maintenance - Regular maintenance, cleaning and repair will be required for the operation of a successful rainwater collection system.
3. Vulnerable Water Quality - The quality of rainwater can be affected by air pollution, insects, and dirt or organic matter. The type and kind of construction materials used can also adversely affect water quality.
4. Water Supply is Climate Dependent - Droughts or long periods of time with little or no rain can cause serious problems with your supply of water.
5. Storage Capacity Limits Supply - The supply of water from a rainwater collection system is not only limited by the amount of rainfall but also by the size of the collection area and your storage facilities.
Rainwater Harvesting Manual (1.89 MB)
Rainwater is a source of water that can provide a cost effective and alternative source of good quality water.
Staying above the water line!
Merry Christmas to Everyone
2 months ago