Saturday, July 11, 2009

Simple Survival Tools - The Wood Cutting Combo


Many times during a storm or other natural disaster tree limbs can be knocked down by high winds causing serious problems. Your access to your home or vehicle may be limited by such an event. Having a few simple tools can help you get things back to a fairly normal state in just a short period of time.

A small pruning saw and a bow saw combined with a good pair of leather gloves to protect your hands will help you make short work of small and medium size tree limbs that may be blocking access to a door of your home or preventing you from getting to your vehicle. It may be a case of your drive-way being blocked by the limbs from a downed tree. These simple tools will make short work of any smaller or medium-sized tree limbs in your way.

For the larger limbs or tree itself you will probably need a good working chainsaw. In the absence of a chainsaw or problems due to one that isn’t working, these simple hand tools can get you going again in short order. Chainsaws can be heavy to use for many people and require some skill on the part of the operator to handle them safely. A good bow saw and hand pruners can generally be used by young and old alike with good results.

A mechanical malfunction always seems to happen at the worst possible time or a lack of fuel to operate it can occur leaving you looking for an alternative. If you can’t get that chainsaw started, better grab your bow saw and go to work at fixing the problem.

Staying above the water line!

Riverwalker

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those little sierra saws are amazing. For small stuff they're wonderful.

matthiasj
Kentucky Preppers Network

Anonymous said...

I'd add in a small pair of pruning shear's and a hatchet or machete.Being as the small stuff is a bit tough to cut with a saw,just clip them off,or 1 good whack! If your bugging out to the wood's,you don't want to cut off all your potential camoflauge.
Dean in az

riverwalker said...

To: matthiasj

Those little hand cutters make it a lot easier to get into a tight space and make some room to use your bow saw. Thanks.

RW

riverwalker said...

To: Dean in Az
I can cut a pretty good size limb pretty quick with my bow saw. A machete would take me a little longer. I have a machete and have used it at times to whack off some of the smaller stuff. Thanks.

RW

Anonymous said...

I've never had much luck with those kinds of bow saws. I have two bucksaws. However, I live on a farm, and have been spending the last few weeks cleaning up brush and small trees--including lots of major pruning--on my 125 acres. Of course I use a chain saw, but that only gets me to 50% of the work. better than a bow saw and even better than a buck saw has been my Menards heat treated carpenters saw--about 24 inches in length. This is an amazing saw, light and about 1/3 the price of a good buck saw. It has done an amazing amount of work, and it can cut in any angle--even up-side-down. In my opinion, it is far superior to a bow saw and a buck saw, and when it gets dull (mine is just now getting dull, but I have trimmed close to a 1,000 yards of trees and heavy brush)just throw it away and purchase a new one. I like it so much, I will be using one in a sheath that I will make for my camping activities (and leave the high end bucksaws at home-LOL!! Try it, and I am convinced that you will never resort to a bow saw or bucksaw again.

Matthew said...

Wood cutting tools include a lot of products including those that have been existent for many years. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. thanks for sharing some useful post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails