Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thirty Minutes At Thirty Degrees

In as little as thirty minutes, you can begin to suffer the effects of hypothermia at temperatures between 30 and 50 degrees. When your body is losing heat faster than it can generate more, you will find yourself in serious trouble very quickly. You don’t have to be in a raging blizzard at -10 degrees to suffer the life-threatening effects of hypothermia.

Obviously most people don’t plan on standing outside naked during cold weather. You might as well be though if you’re not properly dressed for the weather. Make it a point to know what the weather and temperature will be like if you have to go outside. Know how long you plan to be out and dress appropriately. Dress in layers and keep a good coat, a cap for your head and a pair of gloves handy…just in case.

Download a free guide to help you be prepared for colder temperatures here:

Extreme Cold Prevention Guide (3.45MB / 15 pages)


Being appropriately attired for the weather will always be the primary shelter for your body. In the absence of any other type of shelter, being properly dressed can reduce the risks associated with hypothermia when outside in colder weather.

Are you dressed for survival?

Staying above the water line!

Riverwalker

4 comments:

Mayberry said...

I will look like Nanook of the North when I go to work tomorrow. Probably spend most of the day hovering around the salamander...

Anonymous said...

When I was 20 I found myself 20 miles from home in the big city when a blizzard hit. It was about midnight so I started home in my car. The roads were worse then I anticipated and I busted the ball joint loose on one side and the only thing holding it together was my shock absorber. I was able to get it off the main road and safely parked. But I was in a sport jacket and low shoes and it was blowing snow and dropping temperatures. I began walking. Nothing open after a few miles I came to a gas station that was open and I inquired about a tow truck but no one would go out until the next day. I called cabs and even called the police for advice but nothing. So I headed off towards home a mere 18 miles away. It got worse, colder, windyer, more snow piling up and not a care on the road. My feet were soaked but for the most part the snow wasn't melting on my sports jacket so I wasn't soaked thru. I walked for a little over 10 miles, no idea what time it was, still dark but I was thirsty. Hadn't seen anything open and I was on a country road so I walked off the road to a tiny stream and broke the ice and lay down to take a drink of nice cold water. I did not want to get up, but somehow I did and I walked. The snow was about 6" deep and I pretty much knew I was about 7-8 miles from home so I walked on. I reached the center of the tiny town I lived in and it was daylight, probably 8am maybe later. Nothing open and I was about a mile or so from home. Cold but still not soaked since the snow wasn't melting on me I just kept brushing it off. I got home about 9:30am fett soaked, shoes ruined, cold, bone tired but never had hypothermia. I had light dress pants, light socks, a simple cotton shirt and a polyester sports jacket and no hat. The temperature was about 20 degrees the wind was 10-20 I should have been dead. My theory: As long as my body was creating heat I was beating the elements. Sooner or later it would have killed me and if I couldn't make it home I would have died, but as long as I had energy and the ability to keep moving I was going to survive. And that is even with the worst possible clothing choice ever. It snowed for 36 hours and deposited just over two feet of snow.

riverwalker said...

To: Mayberry

Sometimes South Texas isn't far enough south...it's a lot colder than usual for around here.

A good pair of thermals,a wool sweater and a pair of wool socks sure feels good...

Thanks Mayberry.

RW

riverwalker said...

To: anonymous 6:09

Sounds like you had a guardian angel with you...otherwise it might have turned out differently.

Glad you made it OK.

Thanks anon.

RW

Related Posts with Thumbnails